The Specialist Huntington’s Disease Advisor for North Wales covering Conwy, Denbighshire, Anglesey, Gwynedd, Flintshire and Wrexham is Alwena Potter. She has a background of working in health and has been working for the HDA since November 2010 and has acquired much of her knowledge and understanding of the disease from shared experiences of families and health care professionals across the counties.
The key role of the SHDA is to:
- Provide a listening ear.
- Help families receive support, care and advice that they want and need to enable them to cope.
- Access information on benefits, specialist equipment, respite, and so on.
- Increase knowledge and skills.
- Assist in co-ordinating care through contact with health and social care professionals and non-statutory services.
- Raise awareness of HD and support local HD Branch group.